The Radford Site

Description

Photographs and objects relating to John Player & Sons' factories and premises in the Radford area of Nottingham.

John Player opened his first factory in the Radford area in 1884, with more factories being built at the site in the 1920s and 1930s.

Items in the The Radford Site Collection

Photograph of John Player's No. 2 Factory
Exterior view of No. 2 Factory on Radford Boulevard. Work was completed in 1932 and the building measured 250,000 square foot.The factory continued to produce cigarettes until the 1970s, when Player's moved production to its new Horizon factory.

Photograph of the Electronics Section
A photograph of Tom Keatley, Mick Clifford, Tony Wardle, Frank Booth, Neville Wildgoose and Les Bacon at work in the electronics section at the Radford site.

Photograph of Factory Floor and Production Line
Photograph showing a factory floor production line of 'Gold Leaf' tobacco boxes. A male supervisor can be seen inspecting the women at work.

Photograph of Miss England Visit
Miss England on a tour of the factory. She is shown shaking hands with a female employee who was busy processing tobacco leaf.

In the summer of 1967, the then Miss England Jennifer Lewis was invited to take a tour of John Player & Sons No. 3…

Photograph of John Player Special Racing Car
Racing car branded with the JPS logo on the front and sides. "TISSOT // QUARTZ // 11" appears on the car. Workers are standing in the grounds of the No. 3 Factory dispatch docks looking at the car.

John Player & Sons sponsored the Formula One…

Photograph from the Closure of No. 3 Factory
A group of workers with the last cigarettes made at No. 3 factory, standing by the packing machine.

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>